The Essence of Natural Health is what we take into ourselves.  Is what we are consuming good for us?  We must ask this question and answer it honestly.  What we often don't consider is the fact that what we consume is not one dimensional.  We consume with all of our senses and on a multitude of levels.
A part of Community Health and Wellness is Literary Therapy.  This is the practice of being aware of what you are reading and watching or 'consuming' with the brain, mind and emotions.
An amazing phenomenon happens when you take on an excercise regimine.  It's been documented that the appearance of a person changes as soon as they sign the gym membership and don the new workout clothes.  They stand taller, appear more fit and even seem slimmer and more toned.  How is this possible?  This is the power of the mind in action.
You are what you think.  The first step of wellness is the admission that you are well.  The body is in the process of detoxing something out of it's system. This is the way I teach my students to view their bodies, never accept that you are not well.  The invading condition or symptoms are foreigners and your job is to assist it to  continue on it's journey away from you , your body , your mind and your spirit.

Today I want to talk about emotional health and healthy relationships.  First ask yourself-- what are you consuming?  What thoughts, ideas and ideals circulate inside your mind daily regarding your emotions and relationship health?
Over twenty years ago I wrote Sisterhood Revised: An Improvement Manual for The Right Minded Woman and set out on a tour to  promote the idea of healthy relationships between women.  The book focused on the feminine relationships for the advancement of family and community relationships.  I recieved inspiration for the book as a solution to a problem spreading like a disease through so many families, organizations and communities.  Women don't get along and more specifically Black Women don't get along was a common belief back then.  That is a part of the problems some women face in trying to develop healthy relationships with other women. Many of us believe we can not get along. Who feeds us that idea?
 To anyone who feels this is a reality I beg to differ and ask you to check your sources.

I could easily say there are no healthy people in America or nobody gets married anymore.  Those are  opinions and they can only affect you if 1.  You choose to believe me and 2. You have no experience to the contrary.

In actuality the experience of promoting my book and participating in workshops across the country led me to learn and understand how women relate to one another better.  There are many many stories of successful even phenomenal Sisterhood relationships.  You can find them, learn them and learn from them. You must first accept into your spirit , however that it can be done.

The same is true of successful marriages.  I found a wonderful site called blackandmarriedwithkids.com by Ronnie and Lamar Tyler while doing some research to help several of my clients.   In another blog I promoted strongly  the Warrior, Healer, Builder program with Afiya and Wekesa Madzimoyo www.ayaedwhb.com .   These couples are dedicated to helping others learn from their experience , research and program development.  They are dedicated to healing the conditions that create the idea that marriage and black marriage in particular is doomed to failure.  Don't believe the hype if you don't want your marriage on the 'failed' list.  Don't allow the media or your personal selection of movies and music to dictate your frame of mind towards your mate or your marriage.  Find some positive material, study it learn it and write your own happily ever after story.  Take into your spirit that it can be done and so shall it be.

Faith is key in any instance of initiating change for the better.  Tap your faith resources and revisit the concepts of self-worth and Divinity in your life.  You deserve the best.  You deserve to consume the best of foods, thoughts, ideas, air, love all that!  Accept that, then attract that!

I love the videos on marriage on the black and married website and plan to get the whole collection,  I've been to the WHB retreat and it addresses relationships across the board,  I definitely recommend it for every black marriage and any relationship challenge in our community.

Stay tuned for my own writings and other stories I'll be dropping the names of to help you keep up a steady diet of the positive on relationships and what we can do in love and unity as humans.
On an ending note I'll say that while I am unmarried,  I am not down on love or marriage.  In fact, as I told someone recently  I am married,  somewhere there is an ideal mate for me,  I have no idea the timetable of his appearance in my life.  In the meantime, I develop and maintain myself in a healthy, happy state of mind.  A whole complete and healthy relationship consists of two whole healthy complete people,  I'm working on my part and I trust wherever or whenever he is, he's working on his part too.

Lastly, Joy and Happiness should not be dependent on another individual in your life.  Relationship challenges of any kind begin with the self.  I address that in my book Sisterhood Revised and every day in my Ayurvedic Stress Management Practice.  I hope you know you are worth knowing and learning how to be happy and maintain joy wherever you are in life and relationships.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Being In and Of the Earth